Thursday, October 29, 2009

We Are Lost Innocence



I came across this video and it touched me in the most profound way. Our children are being lost in a society that no longer cares about their future. It's hard for me to understand how a minor can be convicted for life. Not negating the fact that they did the crime and I definitely agree they should face charges however, to lock a juvenile up for life is just beyond my comprehension. Children across America are affected by poverty, physical and/or sexual abuse, living in a household with alcoholics or other chemical dependences. What is the likelihood of them having an ample chance at a successful life? The sad truth is, a large percentage will also become a victim of statistics.

This young girl raised in poverty surrounded by gang members, drug dealers and living with people that didn't care enough about her future to give a damn. Now she faces life without the possibility of parole. Chosen, selected and wooed by the man that would change her life forever, she thought finally someone cares for me. Buying her things, showing her the love that her family never showed and having the feeling that she was going to be safe. All the while manipulating her mind so he could expose her body for sale. She became a prostitute at the young age of 13. Working the streets from sun up to sun down. Trying to please a man that would always want more. Living among a harem of other prostitutes she learned tricks to save her life and endure endless nights in the lifestyle. Her circumstances chose her and she would soon learn getting out was not an option, running would mean her life and killing would be a life sentence.

As a victim of molestation and being raised with an alcoholic parent I can definitely understand the state of mind of some of these teens. Though I loved my mom dearly there were many issues, some things people will never know and my daily coping skills were tested on a regular basis. I found love outside my household that was damaging to my emotional health. I had depression early in my teen years and looked for anyone that could fill that void. I could have easily been this victim and now statistic. Though I had a wonderful distant family structure it wasn't enough and I would push my limits physically and mentally. With low self esteem I began to hide from the family I loved the most. Maybe it was shame or fear but I began to lose myself and fast.

The path to lost innocence can happen so quickly especially when there's a break down in family structures or unhealthy living environments. We can't give up on our youth and parent's have to be held accountable for these minor's. I survived the statistics of teenage pregnancy, alcoholism, and drug addiction however; low self-esteem, sexual promiscuity, and depression found me all the same. Where would I be if no one cared about my future? What would have happened if I wasn't exposed to culture, the importance of education or the possibilities how having a successful life? I agree, these adversities help mold me into the individual that I am today but they definitely sealed my fate to a lifetime of trying to overcome life obstacles.

We must show our kids that we love them and we care. The security that they don't have at home, they will find on the streets. Laws need to be changed so we can reform these kids and not lock them up and throw away the key. Is that really the answer that we have for our troubled youth? Some say most of these kids are calculated criminals but how about we start taking control in the beginning instead of in the end. Where are the parents and why aren't they being charged with neglect. We have a responsibility to our children to raise them with the best possible outcome for success. They don't ask to be here and they don't choose their home circumstances so who's fault is it when these events happen. We need to take time out and think about the lost innocence of our children. Don't let your child end up like Sarah Kruzan.

No comments:

Post a Comment