Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Testimony of Faith

We often go through strides in life where we are content, all is going good and everything in the universe is perfect. But we often forget that life happens unexpectedly and when that occurs we feel isolated and lost. Then we begin to doubt our abilities, faith and the strength needed to push forward. I have always been open with my past adversities of having alcoholic parents and overcoming years of molestation. Through the years I've been blessed to have defied most statistics and for that, I'm grateful. Over time I've learned that I didn't create the circumstance in which I was raised. Because of that I was determined not to let my past hurts determine my future. Like any other person bound by guilt I've battled depression, self esteem issues and have

done things that I'm not proud of. But despite all that I went through I know things could have been so much worse. Most would say, "what's worse than enduring incest or dealing with the affects of being raised in a chemically dependent household"? I believe God made me strong for his purpose and I'm seeing the path so much clearer. Despite all my mother's battles, she gave me undeniable love along with having such an uplifting extended family unit at my finger tips is essentially what shaped the person I am today. Overall, I was blessed to have some type of stability. For that reason, I believe that is the guiding power as to why my core is so motivating to others. My life experience made the inspiring force you see today and my determination is unwavering. I'm content that God has a plan designed just for me.

Occasionally, I have this overwhelming feeling that I'm meant to do more. It's like a power pulling me but my fear holds me back from realizing my true destination. I said all that to say, I've been through a storm and came out a better person drenched with knowledge, courage and strength beyond measure. Even in my current state, I have said; "this is my bottom", that all has been lost and I'm unsatisfied with where my present status lie but today I'm understanding that the picture is much bigger and even grander than "ME". Now, I've never claimed to attend church every Sunday and there is much i need to learn but this power inside of me is quit prevalent.

Today as I was shopping I ran into a stranger which happened to work at the store. He felt the need to share his story of triumph over alcohol and drug abuse. You never know what your purpose is when meeting someone but there is always a reason and I was there lending my ear for his need. As he shared obstacles of his troubled past he began to smile brightly when mentioning his longevity with sobriety. I could sense that he was scared and uncertain of his future. He hoped for better days to keep his faith renewed with flourishing promise. Touched by his story, I began speaking words of wisdom through the power of prayer. I don't know where this force came from or the words that flowed from my mouth. I spoke with confidence as if those words were pre-written just for him. He looked at me with amazement probably puzzled because I'm just an ordinary woman not claiming to be lifted or anointed. The prayer touched his heart and my soul all at once. Even in the midst of my storm I was able to give encouragement to someone of greater need. We sometimes forget that what we go through is minimal to the next person facing; illness, poverty, homelessness, and addiction.

When we look at the bigger picture you began to realize that we are blessed, that the petty things in life doesn't matter. We have power over our own lives and our situations don't have to stay as they are. I was meant to meet this stranger for a reason; maybe that reason was to make me realize my storm isn't really a storm but merely a pass over. Or maybe it was to confirm my rightful passage in life that I have been approaching in fear. Or possibly I was meant to share those powerful words because he was at the end of his rope and began not to believe anymore. Either way, the feeling of helping uplift others through words of prayer felt amazing. I know he continues to work miracles within me and those miracles are now manifesting into a motivating force to share with others. This was my testimony of faith, power and the spirit to bless others.

Sometimes when things are dark and the world seems cornered these are the words I speak on a daily basis. It's my fighting shield:

I am amazing. I can do anything I envision. I'm more talented than my hindering fears. I seek faith in you God to guide my way. My being is more than words can express. I ask that you lay your healing hands on me to guide me through darkness and pain. I am more! I am powerful beyond my imagination, I am courageous because my adversities help build me; I am more glorious than any obstacle that stands in my way. My strength allows me to be wife, mother, sister, counselor, writer, motivator and these are just small titles that you have bestowed upon me. But most of all I'm loved because I'm a faithful believer in you and there's a path that guides me every way of your ordered steps. I am so much more. I AM SO.... MUCH...MORE......


LaSha Overstreet-Anderson
Upcoming Book:
Buffering the Pain: Life as a Touched Child

1 comment:

  1. Sha I'm so proud of you! Im current going through a very Rough time with me 15 year old daughter. I truly wish you were here so you could talk to her!
    I miss you..It's been YEARS since we were together. I always know you would overcome your childhood it was always something different about you. Now I know it was STRENGTH! I'm very proud to have been your friend!

    Piper G.

    ReplyDelete